_45469986_006650880-1

A flip flop u –turn

This is Pakistan

 

 

Finally Islamabad admits Mumbai plot hatched in Pakistan, As its character, Islamabad tried to lie to International community the truth behind Mumbai attack 26/11

 

 

ISLAMABAD: February 12, 2009

 

 

 

Pakistan’s Interior Ministry chief Rehman Malik spoke during a press conference in Islamabad Thursday.

Detailing a strong Pakistani link to the three-day rampage in Mumbai, Interior Ministry chief Rehman Malik said his investigators had tracked down safe houses and hideouts used by the conspirators and traced the boats that carried the attackers from a seaside Pakistani town to Mumbai using engines boat in the Arabian sea port of Karachi.

 

 

 Pakistan has registered a case that could lead to prosecution of the people behind the killing of 179 people in the Indian city of Mumbai last November, Advisor to the Prime Minister on Interior Rehman Malik said on Thursday.

“Some part of the conspiracy has taken place in Pakistan,” Malik told a news conference here.

 “The attackers left from Karachi on a boat hired from Balochistan [province],” Mr Malik said. “An e-mail claiming responsibility for the attack was sent by Zarrar Shah of the Lashkar-e-Taiba.”

Mr Shah was arrested at a Lashkar camp in December in Pakistani-administered Kashmir by security forces.

Another man arrested at the time was Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, described as Lashkar’s chief of operations.

Mr Malik named Hamad Amin, a Karachi resident currently in Pakistani custody as the mastermind behind the attacks.

“We traced the owner of shop where the rubber boat (the terrorists used to land in Mumbai) was purchased. We had information from the shopkeeper that the guy who bought it gave one telephone number and that helped investigations. When we reached the number it was closed. We obtained a lead that went to a bank. There was an account of someone related to an act of terrorism. The account led to an individual who was the operator (of the Mumbai attacks). He gave us a number of other leads which we do not want to make public” he added.
Hamad Ameen Sadiq, who facilitated money transfer for the attacks, has been arrested along with another Pakistani national Javed Iqbal, who acquired the VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) connections from Spain, Malik told a press conference, PTI reported.

“We have lodged an FIR into the case,” he said, referring to a police complaint, generally known as a first information report (FIR), eight people have been charged in Pakistan with “abetting, conspiracy and facilitation” of a terrorist act, six people are in custody in connection with the attacks. The FIR (01/2009) has been registered with a special investigation unit in Islamabad.

Pakistan was holding in custody the ringleader and five other suspects in the conspiracy .

Malik said Pakistan had assured India of its full cooperation in the investigations of Mumbai attacks and that Pakistan had been a victim of terrorism since long.

It is the first time a senior official in Islamabad has admitted that the planning took place in Pakistan.
_45469826__45318641_tajhoelafp226-1
“This FIR has been launched. I want to show all of you, I want to show our nation, I want to show the international community, I want to show all those who have been a victim of terrorism, that we mean business,” he said.

But Malik also named other countries, where he said the plotters had made payment transfers or where equipment used in the attacks was registered. Austrian telephone sim cards were used, 238 dollars was transferred from Spain to acquire a domain name — used for communication over the Internet — that was registered in Houston, Texas.

 

A Pakistani, Javed Iqbal who was living in Barcelona was repatriated and arrested in connection with the payment, Malik said.

Another domain name used by the attackers was registered in Russia, and a satellite phone registered in a Middle Eastern country, which he declined to name.

Malik said “money was paid in Italy,” but it was not immediately clear how much he was referring to or what the money was used for.

He said the investigators needed more information to complete its probe into the November 26-29 siege, when 10 gunmen attacked a series of high-profile targets in the Indian financial capital.

Malik said Islamabad had requested from India that Pakistan has given to India 30 questions for further information about Mumbai attackers included DNA samples of the gunmen, nine of whom were shot dead, and Ajmal Kasab who is currently in Indian custody, and their full names.

“Pakistan wants Ajmal Amir Kasab’s statement made in court. It also wants to know how some SIM cards were procured in India,” said Malik.

 

Pakistani investigators, who have been pouring over a dossier of evidence provided by India in early January, are now seeking more information from New Delhi to help ensure they have enough evidence to convict the suspects, Mr. Malik said.

India has maintained the plot was hatched in Pakistan, and has pressed for forceful follow-up by Pakistani authorities against militants belonging to Laskhkar-e-Taiba, a jihadi group it says was responsible.

 

Tracing telephone calls and bank transfers had led to the capture of a key figure in the conspiracy, Hammad Amin Sadiq, Malik said. “He was basically the main operator,” Malik said, adding that his interrogation led to the raid on two hideouts, one in the port city, and one two hours outside. “We have located those locations which were used by the terrorists before launching themselves,” Malik said.

“They had some kind of training, they went into ocean,” Malik said, saying they had sailed from Karachi.

“Some of the accused who have been arrested, they have given us the full rundown.”

Malik said the breakthrough in the investigation had resulted from tracing the fishing vessel used by the militants, purchases of equipment like life jackets and the engine for the rubber dinghy that militants came ashore in Mumbai.

Rehman said Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi and Zarar Shah, two members of the Lashkar-e-Taiba jihadi group, were still in custody.

He said two other men being held were Khan and Riaz, withholding their full names so as not to compromise the investigation.

One of those arrested, identified as Javed Iqbal, was lured back to Pakistan from the Spanish city of Barcelona, Malik said.

 

India accused Islamabad of delaying its investigation.

The attacks have led to a sharp spike in tensions between the nuclear-armed neighbours which have fought three wars since independence in 1947.

 

Last Thursday Indian Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon directly accused Pakistan’s powerful military spy agency, the Inter-Services Intelligence, of involvement in the attacks — a charge Islamabad vigorously denied.

The official said investigators have found a Bangladeshi group, Harkat-ul-Jihad al Islami, and possibly al Qaeda were involved in the attack along with Lashkar. The official didn’t say where investigators believe the attack was planned.

Last week, Pakistan’s high commissioner to Britain, Wajid Shamsul Hasan, said the attack was planned outside Pakistan and suggested it was part of a transnational plot.

The Pakistani statements don’t necessarily reflect the conclusions of the country’s investigation. There are conflicting views within Pakistan’s government and security services about whether Pakistan should take the blame, amid a deep rivalry with India. Other top Pakistani officials have said they won’t comment on the investigation until the report is released.

India and the U.S. have consistently said the plot began in Pakistan. Indian Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon this week alleged that Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence spy agency maintains ties to Lashkar.

“The perpetrators planned, trained and launched their attacks from Pakistan, and the organizers were and remain clients and creations of the ISI,” Mr. Menon said in a speech Wednesday in Paris, Reuters reported. The speech was released by India’s foreign ministry Thursday.

Mr. Menon stopped short of saying the ISI was directly involved in the attack.

Pakistan’s response to India’s dossier on the November 26 Mumbai strikes was handed over to India’s High Commissioner Satyabrata Pal, PTI reported.

At a glance:

Three boats were used for the attack, they have been identified.

The other boats were repainted and ‘Mashallah’ was inscribed on it.

India’s evidence is credible: Rehman.

We have asked 30 questions to India in our reply: Rehman

Indian High Commissioner briefed in Pakistan: Rehman.

26/11 links with Spain, Austria and Italy also established: Rehman

Six people are under our custody: Rehman

26/11 links with Spain, Austria and Italy also established.

In brief

There are three vital leads in the case – Hamid, the shop from where the boat engine was bought and the bank from where they financed their conspiracy.

 

 

 

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/2611-dossier-pak-accepts-indias-charges/85145-2.html

 

http://www.geo.tv/ http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090212/wl_afp/indiaattackspakistanprobe_20090212105909

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090212/ts_nm/us_pakistan_india_4

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123442991473676835.html

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123385153976152847.html?mod=loomia&loomia_si=t0:a16:g12:r2:c0.42094:b0

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7885261.stm

 

 

Advertisements